Thursday, September 6, 2007

HITCHENS ON MOTHER TERESA

The first time I checked Amazon to see if Mother Teresa's book, Come Be My Light, was available on the internet, I came up empty. Today, I ordered the book through Amazon for delivery within a week or so! After reading Christopher Hitchens' article in Newsweek, and comparing it to the article in Time magazine which I mentioned last week on this blog, I am more interested than ever in reading Mother Teresa's letters!

I was fascinated to learn in Hitchens' article that he had been invited by certain Vatican dignitaries to testify at the Beatification hearings on Mother Teresa. To many of my readers this may be surprising. However, it is standard Catholic procedure to invite people to provide negative testimony at such hearings. And that is precisely what he does in this article, The Dogmatic Doubter. As far as I remember, aside from the first sentence of the article, it is negative from start to finish. Read it and see what you think!

The one statement he makes, that I would like to comment on at this time, is "She got what she wanted, and found it a crushing disappointment." How does Hitchen's know that it was a 'crushing disappointment?' One of the ideas that I frequently ponder, is "What goes on inside a person's mind and heart, particularly when it comes to their relationship with their God?" Comments?


No comments: