Sunday, December 2, 2007

Classic Spiritual Themes

In the previous post I discussed the Foundation of the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary and the visionary, Dr. Gianna Talone-Sullivan. My first introduction to this visionary's writings was the book, I am your JESUS of MERCY, volume 1. As described in the Table of Contents, Part I of this book is titled "Lessons from Jesus Christ Our Lord". These Lessons so impressed me that, when I had finished reading all five sets of Lessons in volume 1 through 5, I wrote and published the following article on my website, http://www.ednamcgrew.com/

CLASSIC SPIRITUAL THEMES

IN THE LESSONS FROM OUR LORD

It is interesting to study the progression of these Lessons. They begin with the basic truths of the Christian life explained in clear and forceful language. Yet each Lesson is permeated with words of love and concern for our well being and spiritual growth. As the Lessons continue they become longer and provide more detailed instruction on the spiritual journey and the fruits of spiritual maturity. To study these Lessons and how they reflect Holy Scripture seems to me to be a very sure way to proceed on the contemplative journey to God.

Down through the centuries the great spiritual themes have been food for many souls. In her Revelations of Divine Love, Julian of Norwich emphasized the tender motherliness of God. Theresa of the Child Jesus, a Doctor of the Church, writes of her "little way." Abbot Keating, in his classic, Open Mind, Open Heart emphasizes the need of the contemplative to "rest in God." J. P. Caussade, S.J. in his exquisite book, Self-Abandonment to Divine Providence brings together the Carmelite and the Salesian traditions of abandonment to Divine Providence and confidence in God. The great Doctor of Mystical Theology, John of the Cross, describes the Dark Nights and their culmination in Divine Union. Countless writers speak of living in the present moment. All of these themes are covered in these Lessons in an unusually beautiful manner. Some examples are provided below.

God's Motherliness:

"Today, I wish for My people to know My Father...He will comfort you,...He will cradle you like a newborn babe."1
"Silently, gently, delicately and oh-so-tenderly is the way I work on the vast, many souls."2

Littleness:

"When you are "little," the Father is able to embrace your soul ever so tightly and He will protect you."3
"I love My little ones and invite all to follow the way of littleness as that of My Mother, so secure in Her fidelity to follow God at all costs without consolation or promises."4
"Do not mistake littleness with lack of power. Littleness is detachment from possessions and is purity of heart."5

Centering/Rest in God/Prayer of the Heart:

"Rest in My love. Rest in My peace. Rest in Me as I rest in you. Let us unite for we are ONE."6
"If you will absorb My love and rest in My love, your heart, mind, and soul will be rejuvenated and will rise to an ecstasy of joy."7
"If you centered on Me and allowed Me to love you, you would be filled with love, purity and goodness."8
"I do not want their words, I want their hearts."9
"It is necessary that my people begin to strive for an inner harmony of quiet and peace, allowing the way for the unity of the Trinity to enter and find rest."10
"Be in union with Me by reserving quiet, private time where I can make My abode of love in you."11
"Always take time for Me to rest in you. Invite Me."12
"...one of the greatest gifts of My merciful love is silence of the heart..."13

Trust in Divine Providence:

"SURRENDER TOTALLY, AND RECEIVE ABUNDANTLY!"14
"Surrender unto Love against all self-comprehension."15
"I am truly guiding you if you trust that I am. This is self-abandonment to the Providence of God."16
"When you abandon unto Me, I ensure that your union with and in Me is complete."17
"Nothing happens to you in life unless My Father will it so. Trust in Divine Providence and surrender to His consoling truths."18

Dark Nights:

"...be at peace when God allows you to be chastised and pressed through the mill of sweet graces.19
"These, My little ones, many times feel abandoned by God,...Why must it be so? Because, little ones, all who love as I love must die as I died."20
"It is the walk of the night where the light is so strong it blinds you...My point of this lesson, My dear one, is to teach My people to be still, quiet, silent, in dryness of the soul. WAIT PATIENTLY for God to show His face to you."21
"This is where union begins, knowing you are nothing and experiencing by the purification of desolation and nothingness, that you can become everything in Me."22

Transforming Union:

"The soul then commences in the journey of light until it unites with its Master in an encompassing brillance of illumination, the union with God."23
"The silence of union is essential for the life of the soul. Even though your life of ministry be active, silence and solitude is vital and is possible."24
"When you sit quietly and contemplate My words of love, your soul is suspended high into the abyss of love."25

Present Moment:

"Live the moment, and be aware of all the beauty I give you."26
"Take each day as I have prepared it for you."27
"Live in Me in each moment. Do not run ahead."28
"Do not lose the moment by dwelling on a topic regarding yourself."29
"See the beauty in the simplest of God's creation...Listen. Listen to silence. See the richness through solitude."30

No comments: